Standing:Olive, Oak, Cnidaria, Buffalo, Courtney, Bunny, Redtail, Sparrow
Kneeling:Willow, The Big Cheese, Cypress, Grasshopper, Pinniped
Many of our naturalist staff are returning this year and we have some great new additions. Pinniped, Cypress and Redtail are joining the naturalist staff.
- John F. "The Big Cheese" is our intrepid leader. He
focuses on the Big Picture here at KEEP Cambria. He can find any
answer and solve any problem, so he says. He has an Economics
degree from UCLA and received his teaching credential from
Chapman College. John spends his free time playing with the band,
camping and fishing with his sons, and bragging about his new
- John S. "Buffalo" grew up on Venice Beach, CA. He studied animal physiology and marine science at UC Santa Cruz, lived in Europe for 5 years and speaks German. Buffalo loves fishing, elephant seals, walkabouts and storytelling. He is also runs an outdoor summer school, Delphinus, here on the Central Coast.
- Paul "Bunny" is one of our cooks and treats us daily to his fantastic cooking and good humor.
- Amy "Cnidaria" is very excited to be part of the Cambria team. She grew up in Michigan and spent much of her childhood camping all over the U.S.
At Earlham College, she earned a Bachelor's degree in Biology and spent a semester studying marine biology in the Bahamas. Cnidaria also studied Conservation Biology at Antioch New England Graduate School. She has been an educator in many settings including museums, classrooms and in the outdoors. Cnidaria loves swimming, bird-watching, scrapbooking and playing the guitar and is now a proud mother.
- Ed "Oak" graduated from University of Wales, Aberystwyth with a degree in Geography. He completed a yearlong; college internship at SCICON (Tulare County's outdoor education program), and never looked back. Since then he has worked at both KEEP sites and several summer camps, in addition to driving a school bus for the local school district and working as a kayak guide in Morro Bay. He is the proud father of a five year old son and a new baby daughter.
- Amber "Willow" went to San Francisco State and earned a
degree in Recreation Therapy. In August, 2000, she gleefully abandoned her job as a public relations associate to pursue a new life as an outdoor educator and earned her teaching credential through the Cal State Teach program. Willow loves sharing nature with kids, being outside with friends and taking her dog for walks.
- Katie "Sparrow" is from Decatur, Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta. Much to our surprise, she doesn't have much of a Southern accent. She attended Swarthmore College in Philadelphia, where she studied biology and English Literature. After a year raising caterpillars in a lab, she decided to switch to kids (which are more similar than you might think...) Sparrow came to KEEP after an internship at SCICON Outdoor School.
- Courtney "Courtney"
- Anya"Olive" loves open spaces, the color orange, and words starting with the letter "O." She grew up in Calabasas and Burbank, CA, getting her degree at Cal Poly, in San Luis Obispo. In her spare time she likes to listen to music, play music, and make musical instruments of various sorts. You might find her hiking the hills or walking the beach at any given day of the year, regardless of the weather.
- Heather"Grasshopper" is our lead cook. She has a Bachelor's degree in Applied Nutrition and Culinary Science and Management from Cal Poly. In her spare time she likes to read and write and experiment with food. She has been a cross country runner for many years and enjoys running marathons.
Engineering for this site provided by The office of Christine Lizardi Frazier. Technical questions should be directed to the KCSOS Web Team. Information on low-cost hosting and website design services, featuring Manila, for schools and non-profit organizations is available here. Report problems with this page here.
Copyright ©2014, Kern County Superintendent of Schools 1300 17th Street - CITY CENTRE, Bakersfield, CA 93301-4533 (661) 636-4000
Last update: Friday, November 22, 2013 at 9:47:20 AM
Copyright 2014 keepcambria